More new babies!

 
New baby chicks today!  The little blondes are White Leghorns, the little brunettes Araucanas.  The babies are just two days old and are quite a lively bunch.  They will live in their brooder (and under their heat lamp) for four weeks.  When they're fully feathered and when the weather is warmer (and it will be soon!), they'll go out to their coop.  I've never raised chickens without the help of a mother hen before.  They'll get lots of loving care here, of course!
 
Chicken trivia:  If you wonder what color eggs a hen will lay, look at her little ears.  The Araucanas will have bluish-green ears while the Leghorns will have white.  And that's what they'll lay!  I think that's pretty neat.
 
Names for the babies: More Mayberry names from "The Andy Griffith Show."  The blondes will be Skippy and Daphne and Mrs. Mendelbreit.  I know it sounds almost absurd to name a baby chick Mrs. Mendelbreit, but I love her character on the show.  She owned the rooming house where Barney Fife lived, and she almost got completely duped by a con man, bless her heart.  Two of the brunettes will be the Morrison sisters, Jennifer and Clarabelle.  They were moonshiners and once gave Opie some "special flowers" for his little girlfriend.  The third little brown chick will be Aunt Bea.  Folks sometimes ask me why I name my critters after characters on old tv shows.  Well, I just love the shows!  I'm sure y'all have noticed that none of my chickens is named Fried, Barbecued, or Broiled!  They live out their sweet chicken lives here without ever being our meals.  (Bet you already knew that!)
 
Starting my new barn and coop signs tonight.  What fun!  I'll post photos when they're done.  I suppose y'all know that I'm having a wonderful time!

9 comments:

  1. oh your little chicks are divine. I love them and bet you are going to have so much fun with these long named babies! Will look forward to more photos of these little ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have so much life around you. I was sort of holding my breath after you were naming them, doesn't seem right to serve them then, how wonderful you let them have lovely lives. I loved the Andy Griffith Show too. Lucky chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its so cute to name them after old TV character. :)
    I'm a huge fan of Bonanza, Little House on the Prarie, I Love Lucy.......... compared to what we have now THOSE were great shows! Thanks so much for sharing! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! They are adorable-I want to raise some, too. I might name mine from Gillian's Island-I loved that zany show. Ginger, the Professor, Mary Ann ;D Mr. and Mrs. Howell, Gillian, and the Skipper- Thank you for your well wishes and this fun post! I saw some baby ducks and chicks at the tractor supply store-I had a hard time leaving! You brightened my day-thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. My husband and I went camping for the first time as a married couple, the tent besides whistled the theme from Mayberry most of the evening. We never thought we would end up living in North Carolina-it was a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - I LOVE them!!! The names are SO fitting! Happy Saturday, Mary Ann - XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have one called Ernest T. Bass? Oh, my! how we loved those episodes! Esp. when Barney dressed up in the wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aweeeeee, so so cute!! I love it - and love that piece of ear trivia ;0 good luck with your new babies and congratulations! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look!! How cute. Oh may they all grow, thrive, and lay a lot of eggs!

    ReplyDelete