Building in Progress

I've been working on my newest miniature building, Books by the Beach.  It's going to be a little free library --- leave a book, take a book, sit and read a book, a concept that I really like!  The building is still in its rough stage; as I work, I dig into what I want to portray.  And sometimes I just sit and stare at it.

The actual color of the exterior is Lunar Green.  I save Lowe's coupons, and this paint was free.  That old wood feature along the bottom was made from pieces of tree stumps that my husband is currently leveling.  I liked these scraps because they're pale and soft and shaped just right.  I'm going for a true beachfront look here, and so far it's working.  Above the window is a piece of driftwood, a nice scrap that I painted with a watered-down white.  The flat thing on the door is a plastic shell.  I normally use real materials, but this will fit once everything is done.  There will be a patio on the right with French doors where you see that large opening.   I haven't yet decided on the porch or the gable end.  Lots of things to consider!



 
A little about the interior here:  I like to use old scrapooking paper on the walls because it works so well.  See that printing above the cabinet?  It's the back of old Somerset Studios paper that I didn't like!  I'll be putting things right over that printing, so it won't show for long.  Sometimes I make little art works for hanging.  One of my projects has a little cross-stitched quilt.  This one will be some kind of beachy textile art.  Fun stuff.
 
The cabinet is actually a re-painted and re-imagined piece that I've had for awhile.  It had been painted black - not beachy at all - and now is a shabby chic white.  There's not much in it yet, but you can see my seashell (real ones!) bookends and a few things stacked on top.  I will be replacing the paper behind it --- look closely and you'll see that a patch job that I did made it less than perfect.
 
I've added two more sets of photos on "My World in Miniature".  Click on that page link under the blog header, and scroll down till you find Little Creek Run Shelter and Sunset Cottage.  Of course, if you've never seen my other little places, just start looking at the top and enjoy your visit!
 

9 comments:

  1. No way! I am beyond impressed! I absoluetly love your work! I just checked out your pictures and your work is so detailed, thoughtful and beautiful. I remember working on a victorian shingled house when I was a girl and this brings back such sweet memories.
    AND I want to live in Sunset Studio. Yes please. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cottage jus happens to be available! Lucky you! If you come in late summer, be sure to have some snuggly warm things as August nights in northern Michigan tend to be rather cool. I'll see that the cupboards are stocked. You'll enjoy your stay! 8-)

      Delete
  2. It takes special skill, inspiration and much patience to do such beautiful things....recreating into minature in such detail is just wonderful.. I know you enjoy this and they bring such joy to others.. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when you share what you're working on. It's just so amazing. It's charming and enchanting and takes me back to childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always so impressed by your skill and creativity! This is going to be so awesome, and I am anxious to see when finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your project ! Such creativity here. Will keep my eyes out for your finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what an adorable project! So much detail and it looks like it requires the kind of meticulousness that I love in a project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is so darling, MA! I esp. like the beach cottage, b/c I adore the beach. I like the little piece of "drift wood" above the window. It looks like an eyebrow, and give the window a gentle, knowing look :) Very nice -- I love all your little houses. Do you mean that this one will be a Free Library that sits out in your yard, where people come and leave and pick up books? We have one of those here in town in someone's yard. Neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'd never leave this out. The free library idea came from the original concept, though. This little building is somewhere in an imaginary beach town where folks can take a book, leave a book, read a book. Such fun. Thank you for the lovely compliment --- everything I build has a story.

      Delete